Re: [css3-images] element() "ignoring" transforms

On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:47 AM, Øyvind Stenhaug wrote:

> Regarding the eleemnt() function, CSS3 Images says
>
> "If the referenced element has a transform applied to it or an ancestor,
> the transform must be ignored when rendering the element as an image.
> [[!CSS-TRANSFORMS]]"
>
> I think it's probably worth detailing what it means for a transform to be
> "ignored". Should it be as if the transform property were 'none'? Note
> that this would have some additional effects, since a transformed element
> normally acts as a containing block for fixed-position descendants, for
> instance (even if it's just an identity transform).

I don't think it should behave as if the transform property were 'none'. It
would be extremely burdensome for an implementation if rendering of
descendants of the element() target were different between the original
and the element() copy. element() should really just be a bitmap copy
of the original rendering, but that bitmap should be based on the post-transform
coordinate system.

Simon