Re: CSS3 Images issues needing WG review

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 1:41 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Issue 4 - 'element reference identifier' underdefined
>> =======
>> We need confirmation that switching back to using only id selectors,
>> and letting host languages define ways to make more elements match
>> that selector (in HTML, the CSSElementMap), is okay.
>
> I'm not sure that this is OK. Is the intent that modifying the CSSElementMap
> will also affect the behavior of #id selectors? That's not how Gecko behaves
> and I haven't considered whether that is desirable.

There's an open bug in the HTMLWG about this, to determine whether it
should have a wide effect across CSS/DOM or just a local effect on
element() (and perhaps future things with similar needs).

For the purpose of this issue, you can assume that it's defined
narrowly to only affect element().