Re: [css3-page][css3-background] Canvas background painting and positioning area

On 03/07/2012 06:25 AM, Simon Sapin wrote:
> Le 07/03/2012 14:39, MURAKAMI Shinyu a écrit :
>> I agree that the background painting area should be the border edge.
>
> As said in my other email, the canvas background would then cover/mask the page border. Is that what we want?

Ok, so the current spec says the painting order is:

   0. Page Background (entire page, including page margins)
   1. Page Border
   2. Margin Boxes
   3. Document Canvas
   4. Document Content

Note: z-index can be used to change the relative position of the margin
boxes and the document.

How about we change the spec to say:

   0. Page Background
   1. Document Canvas
   2. Page Border
   3. Document Content
   4. Margin Boxes

The document canvas would effectively be the "background" of the page
box, painting at the same layer with respect to the page border as a
normal box's background to its border. Layers 1, 2, & 3 would form a
stacking context; the margin boxes can be positioned above or below
them, but not interleaved between.

Once we have that layering in place, we can allow the canvas to paint
underneath the border. And allow this to be controlled with background-clip.
(The open question is then, is it controlled by 'background-clip' on the
root element or on the @page context?)

I think this gives us a sensible model. What do you think?

~fantasai