Re: [css3-page][css3-mediaqueries] Changing element styles on page breaks

On 02/21/2012 08:20 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2012, at 1:02 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr <mailto:simon.sapin@kozea.fr>> wrote:
>
>> The spec needs polish in corner cases (and probably a new algorithm for Margin Boxes Variable Dimension, but that’s another
>> story) but I think it is relatively stable.
>
> That's good. But it is not LC or CR yet, so it can still be changed. I would rather slow it down just a little to bring in
> line with this capability of regions to style elements with each selected page (selectable region-like container), or at least
> prepare it for that to come. Even if full-on per-page selecting of elements had to wait for a css4 version, at least wrapping
> the property declarations in curly braces with a :page selector before them would help future-proof it for adding in a fuller
> selector-based rules feature later, without later requiring another @rule to enable that feature.

CSS3 Paged Media was previously a CR, and was pulled back to WD by Melinda
and me because much of it was vastly underspecified.  As Simon notes, there
are already multiple implementations of the syntax, and although margin
boxes weren't in CSS2.1, property declarations within @page were. There are
many changes we can make, but significantly changing the scope or the syntax
is not something we can do here.

~fantasai