Re: [css4-color] Make the r/g/b components be <number> rather than <integer>?

On Jun 8, 2012, at 10:24 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> and then there is a nice note:
>
>  Note. Mapping or clipping of color values should be done to the
>  actual device gamut if known (which may be larger or smaller than
>  0..255).

I guessed it was something like that, although I still don't see how you can get blacker than black, even if your monitor doesn't show the black perfectly.

>> Isn't zero the absence of any light from that component of the pixel?
>
> You just assumed that your CSS styled document is being shown using "light".

Well, yeah. Whether it is emitted or reflected, light is generally necessary for vision. Unless you use sonar or something, but CSS doesn't help much with that, AFAICT.

>> Do negative values suck the light from other light sources in the room?
>
> Negative values correspond to a subset of the colors you can get our of your printer that your computer screen can't show.

I assumed rgb(0,0,0) would be a black that at least as dark as any gamut could approximate.