Re: [css3-exclusions] Issue 15183

On 7/30/12 11:17 AM, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

>The underlying issue is that having an exclusion model without a
>connected collision-handling model is broken, because it leads
>authors to build designs that are extremely inflexible, and only
>work at the specific page size for which they designed it.
>
>Floats provide both a exclusion model (wrapping text around the
>float) collision-handling model (moving a float to the side or down
>when it would intersect another float).  CSS exclusions provide only
>the exclusion model, which means that authors will get
>page-size-specific layouts when they use it with a layout model
>without a collision-handling model (i.e., every layout model that
>they might use it with).

David,

Rossen and I both responded that flex or grid layout should be good,
page-agnostic layout models to use with exclusions. Do you agree with this?

As I asked Florian, do you have an example of a layout that is flexible
without exclusions, but becomes inflexible once exclusions are introduced?

Thanks,

Alan