Re: [css3-ui][css3-writing-modes] logical directions for resize?

On Jul 27, 2012, at 10:58 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 2:41 AM, Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com> wrote:
>> The resize property is defined to take the following values:
>> none | both | horizontal | vertical | inherit
>>
>> I was considering whether it would be a good idea to put something like this
>> in UA stylesheets:
>>
>> textarea { resize:both }
>> input { resize:horizontal }
>>
>> For textarea there's no problem, but for input, it would not do what you
>> want in a page using a vertical
>> writing mode.
>>
>> I propose that we replace horizontal and vertical by logical directions.
>
> I'm fine with adding logical directions.  I'm also fine with removing
> the physical directions, if it's possible to do so.

I think there are many situations where you would still need physical. For instance, images, video, iframes, scrollable content areas (especially for non-text content), or really anything where the author used 'width' and 'height' and wants it resizable in only one direction.