Re: [css3-flexbox] miscellaneous comments on Chapter 4. Flex Items

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> I find this pretty weird. 'order' can move something around in one
> dimension, and then absolutely positioning it in the other direction gives
> it a completely different placement for the dimension that stayed 'auto'?
> That is completely counterintuitive. Even a 'float:left' in tlr text that
> becomes abspos (with auto positions) still maintains a pretty similar visual
> ordering with its apparent siblings. 'order' can change what the apparent
> siblings are, and I don't think 'position:absolute' should automatically
> change it back.

I don't understand - turning a float into an abspos doesn't maintain
the visual ordering at all.  It maintains the vertical position,
because both types of positioning use the "static" vertical position,
but the horizontal position will often be very different.

> Doesn't 'margin-left' combine with the 'left' property to affect where a
> left edge ends up, even if it is 'left:auto'? So should 'order' affect where
> an absolutely positioned flex box item end up, even if the edge-positioning
> values are all 'auto'.

margin combines with t/r/b/l exactly as much as border and padding do,
because t/r/b/l position the margin box.