Re: Define <br> by CSS means?

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr> wrote:
> Le 21/07/2012 07:30, Andrew Fedoniouk a écrit :
>>
>> Let's say we have this markup:

>> and the desire to see these spans broken into two lines:
>>    123
>>    456
>>
>> with div style defined as:
>>
>> div { max-width: max-content; border:1px solid; }
>>
>> so its width will be set set to max of widths "123" and "456".
>>
>> Of course we can use <br> in markup between 3 and 4 but it is not CSS-ish.
>>
>> Something like this:
>>
>>    div>span:nth-child(3) { line-break:after; }
>>
>> probably?
>

> Hi Andrew,
>
> You can do as Lea said to have something behave like <br> in CSS. In fact
> that’s how <br> is implemented in some UAs.
>
> Also note that in your markup, there is whitespace before and after each
> I’ve seen work arounds like this:
>
> ...</span><!--
>     --><span>...
>
> --

Let's put aside white-spaces and other formatting issues for the
purpose of this
discussion.

For sequence of floats we have 'clear' attribute.

Question is: what would be its equivalent for sequence of inline
"bricks" - blocks and glyphs?

Sidenote: floats cannot be used in the design as they have no vertical
alignment concept.

Could it be something like break-*** values for the 'clear':

  clear: break-after | break-before | after | before | left | right

?

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com