Re: [css3-lists] maintainance of counter styles WAS: Khmer consonants as list markers

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
> [Florian Rivoal:]
>> I am rather thinking that browser should not include these many predefined
>> counters at all, and the informative note (preferably published together
>> with a css file with the recommended counters) be published for authors to
>> use.
>
> I suppose this all boils down to why we don't want to define this normatively.
> If we think it'd be harmful for browsers to ship with these definitions built-in
> then I'm not sure why we'd want to tell authors to use them. I still think some
> of these definitions could be normative; others may not be. I'd rather not throw
> out the former because of the latter.

The argument is that there's no need to clutter up browser code with a
hundred or so counter styles when any given user will only need the
common ones plus one or two of the uncommon ones.

I disagree, but the argument is reasonable.

~TJ