Re: [css3-flexbox] hypothetical size for breaking vs. flex basis

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> Right now multi-line flexboxes break into lines using the flex basis.
> This makes a lot of sense for any explicit value of the flex basis.
> But for auto, I'm wondering if it might make more sense to use the
> minimum size instead. If you have a navigation bar, for example,
> you might want it to try shrinking the items to try to fit into a
> single line before breaking across lines.
>
> Might be something to address in Level 2, e.g. with new keywords for
> wrapping. But I thought I'd point it out.

I definitely think that it would be good to look into whether we need
more powerful controls around linebreaking in a future version.  The
current behavior is purposely simple, which means it won't always be
appropriate.

We shouldn't worry about it for this level, though.  The current
functionality is fine, and I don't want to introduce new functionality
at this point in the spec's life cycle.