Re: [CSS21] Text and overlapping with negative margin-bottom

On Tuesday 2012-07-03 19:54 -0400, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
> I am confused and surprised by this test
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/Text-negative-margin-bottom.html
>
> I'd like to know where in the CSS 2.1 spec the resulting layout is explained.
> Why am I able to read the text of div#overlapped?
> What am I missing here?

The painting order of inlines goes above blocks.  This is explained
in Appendix E, and required (in a roundabout and unclear manner) by
the sentence in section 9.5:
  # When this happens, floats are rendered in front of
  # non-positioned in-flow blocks, but behind in-flow inlines.

-David