Re: [css3-2d-transforms][css3-images] <position> grammar is duplicated or points to the wrong spec

On Saturday 2012-01-21 15:33 +0200, Lea Verou wrote:
> It seems the grammar for <position> is duplicated in the definition of the `transform-origin` property [1], rather than being deferred to the one that can be found in css3-background [2]
>
> On the other hand, css3-images do try to point to its definition elsewhere, but they point to css3-values, which doesn't define it [3]
>
> [1]: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-2d-transforms/#transform-origin
> [2]: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-background/#the-background-position
> [3]: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-images/#radial-gradients

In 3-D transforms, on the other hand, the syntax is actually
different since it allows a 3-D point (a value in x, y, and z).
It's not necessarily clear to me how this should interact with the
new background-position syntax -- it's perhaps a bad result of the
suggestion I made to use the same syntax for both (when I was
thinking only about 2-D).

That said, I'm not sure transform-origin really needs to allow a 3-D
point, given that transform-origin doesn't actually add
functionality -- it just makes it easier to think about transforms
in different ways -- the same effects can always be done using
translate.

-David