Re: [css3-text] Re: Orphan control in CSS

On 01/05/2012 08:42 AM, Simon Sapin wrote:
> Le 05/01/2012 14:35, Matthew Wilcox a écrit :
>> OK then, what about, as Lea suggests:
>>
>> orphan-words: 2;
>>
>> The number being the minimum number of words that must appear on the
>> new-line if a new-line is required.
>>
>> e.g.,
>>
>> This is a heading that doesn't wrap
>>
>> This is a heading that has an
>> orphan
>>
>> This is a heading that wraps with
>> orphan control
>
> Looks good to me.
>
> The spec for this would need to define how words are counted in various
> languages/scripts. Counting line-break opportunities sounds reasonable.

It isn't really. The distances are vastly different between two words in
German and two characters in Chinese. Typographically, you probably care
much more about distances than breakpoints.

> Should this (if it is accepted) go in css3-text or somewhere else?

CSS4 Text. There was a proposal many years ago for a 'last-line-length'
property, which would solve the same use case without the word-counting
problem. I think that would make more sense. But as David Baron notes,
you really don't want to do this until you can do paragraph-level
balancing, like TeX. (I think that currently has the status of "pipe
dream" on this list. :)

Wrt breaking headings, take a look at 'text-wrap: avoid' in CSS3 Text.
It doesn't quite address this issue, but it addresses one that relates
to this--if you're doing phrase-controlled breaking in a heading, you're
less likely to wind up with an awkward last line.
   http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#example-avoid

~fantasai