Re: [css3-flexbox] remove flex() function

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>wrote:

> On 01/05/2012 04:48 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
>
>> I don't see a problem with just having the flex(1 0 10px) == 10px when
>> not in a flexbox. It doesn't seem weird to me.
>>

> Sure, but it's weirder / less intuitive when preferred width is omitted
> from the flex() function -- then it computes to 0px and won't render at
> all, since 0px is the default preferred width in flex().
>
> So e.g. "width: flex(5)" would be equivalent to "width: 0px", in
> non-flexbox contexts.

That seems less weird to me than "width: 100px" being ignored in horizontal
flexbox contexts.  At least in the first case, you modified the width
property so when debugging, it'll be obvious that flex(5) is causing the
width to be different.  In that latter case, you have to know to look for
the flex property to fix it.