Re: Forums

Am 05.01.2012 um 14:33 schrieb Matthew Wilcox:

> Has the group considered using Forums instead of the mailing list?
>
> I am having a horrible time trying to get the system to work properly
> with my Gmail account, it keeps resetting itself to send replies from
> my main address which the www-style list doesn't recognise (and so
> doesn't post). Everything is a PITA to find and follow, if you're not
> already involved in a thread it's impossible to look further back in
> time than when you joined. I don't even know why the list is using my
> gmail address because I signed up with my primary address (which Gmail
> also sends with some magic via functionality).
>
> A mailing list seems archaic and (to my mind) a badly implemented
> communication medium for what we're doing. Forums are designed
> expressly for what we're doing here on the list, having numerous
> advantages and being far more useful. I don't get why we're still
> using mail lists. Entropy?

Hehe, I think it's just because of the good old days. Seriously I also don't see any point of not using a forum software. Most of them have a mailing list feature itself so you can opt-in to that but by default a forum is much easier to handle.

Am 05.01.2012 um 19:04 schrieb François REMY:

> Maybe using a more suited mail client than GMail would solve the issue (maybe reconfiguring it properly could suffice). I've no difficulty at all to follow many mailing lists and multiple mail addresses in the same mail client. Naturally, I use a local mail client with conversation-grouping and that replies using the email address I received the mail from.
>
> I suppose it's about personnal tastes, but I would dislike to use a forum since
> * I would have to connect to the forum specifically using a browser
> * I would not have push notifications
> * It would be impossible to read/search a mail offline
>
> Best regards,
> François

You know forum softwares could deal with email notifications? So it would basically be the same for those who like mailing lists.

-Anselm
Anselm Hannemann – Novolo Designagentur

E-Mail: anselm@novolo.de
Tel: +49 (0)151 178 533 60