Re: [css3-transforms] translate() vs. translate3d()

On Feb 10, 2012, at 4:37 PM, Rik Cabanier wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I agree that's a much better way of doing skew. It also avoid the discontinuity that you see if skew approaches 90deg.
>
> I've asked for this in the past but people didn't like it since it didn't match SVG. Maybe we could give it a different name...

Maybe, but I'm not sure more API is the way to go. I really wish we could get rid of skew to be honest. I think it's too difficult to get your head around a 2 dimensional skew, much less 3 dimensional! I hate to invoke it's name, but in VRML we had the notion of a scaleOrientation, which was an axis/angle 3D rotation that you would use to set the orientation of the scale application. It gave a really intuitive way of "skewing" an object in 3 dimensions. Maybe that's too much of a change here, and it would more of a divergence from SVG. But I think it would be more intuitive for authors.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com