Re: [css3-regions] regions forming stacking contexts

It seems to me that the "region generator" should dictate how the regions are painted. In the case of explicitly specified regions that can be anywhere in the DOM tree, it seems preferable to simply have regions make stacking contexts and render separately as units.

However if the "region generator" (e.g., multi-column layout) acts as the container for all the regions that are generated, then obviously optimizations are possible, i.e., you know the regions are all together, direct children of the multi-column block, and so you can change the painting rules accordingly.

So basically I think the default behavior should be stacking contexts and if regions happen to be the implementation building block for other systems like multi-column, then those other systems can specify their own painting rules and behind the scenes we could still use regions and get the paint order that is desired by that particular generator.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)