RE: [selectors] An Idea for CSS4 Selectors

Hi Adam,

I think there's already a proposal included in the draft that is aimed at solving this problem, even if its reserved section is not very developed right now (nor supported in any browser); see http://dev.w3.org/csswg/selectors4/#idref-combinators.

The current proposal features this syntax:

    label:hover /for/ input { }

and there's a proposal for another syntax using functional notation:

    input:linked-by(label:hover)

I guess your use-cases would be something like

    figure:linked-by(a:hover) {
        /* glow */
    }

or

    div.equation:linked-by(a)::after {
        /* display the referencable name of the equation only if it's referenced at least once */
    }

or

    a:linked-to(*) {
        /* display links to any anchor in a particular way */
    }
    a:linked-to(figure) {
        /* display links to a figure anchor in a more particular way */
    }

right?