Re: Initial values for widows and orphans

On 12/10/2012 01:34 PM, Dean Jackson wrote:
> I just added support for 'widows' and 'orphans' to WebKit [1].
>
> Unfortunately, in order to not break existing content, I couldn't use the specified initial values of 2.
>
> Instead I had to go against the spec and accept a value of 'auto'
> and have that be the initial value. In WebKit, this means do nothing
> (do not try to avoid widows or orphans).

widows and orphans only accept integers. If you want "do nothing", why
aren't you using 1 as the initial value?

> What was the reasoning behind having such initial values? [2] [3]

Probably because in general, it results in better pagination of text
content. It's been that way since CSS2.0.
   http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-CSS2-20080411/page.html#break-inside

~fantasai