Re: [css3-exclusions] issue with shape-outside: url() (ISSUE-296)

On 10/12/12 15:32, Alan Stearns wrote:

> I'm wondering when positioning a smaller shape inside a larger box will be
> used, and how important it is to have in this level. In the case above,
> you have a 100x150px bounding box around the shape that is used for
> positioning the float and wrapping content around it. So if the shape is
> placed at the top left, whatever is displayed in the right and lower side
> of the 400x350px box will overlap with the content wrapping around the
> float. Or if the shape is centered, there will be a bit of overlap on all
> sides.
>
> I have definitely seen instances that look like this (a background
> partially intruding into some text) but I expect the usual case will be a
> shape that matches a displayed image, or a shape whose bounding box is the
> same as the content area.

Honestly Alan, the most important question is not what we expect users
are going to do, but how we're sure they will abuse the thing :-) I'm
not saying we _have_ to specify shape positioning as I defined it but if
we don't, we need to at least specify the default behaviour here. I
could perfectly live with centered or positioned at the "start" corner
(think writing-direction and vertical writing too).

</Daniel>