Re: CSS issue: Need control of what is perceived by which technologies

Please note that this list is for discussion of “what the CSS spec should be” which is usually several steps ahead of “what CSS can I use *today* to solve problem X.”

Even though your request can’t be done in a browser today, the best way to get something into a rendering engine is to file a bug, and potentially contribute a patch, and the best way to get something into the CSS spec is to discuss it here.

Also, since you mentioned not knowing of any screen reader that uses CSS 3 Speech, VoiceOver on iOS supports at least some of it. The values of the speak property: literal-punctuation, digits, etc. come to mind, and there was a demo in the WWDC 2011 video, “Combining Accessibility and Automation on iOS” which should be available as a free download—mobile now, or I’d include a link.

Note: This support was added about a month before speak was split into two properties: speak and speak-as. I found it surprising that the 2011 draft would change it so drastically, especially considering there had not been an updated draft since 2004.