Re: [css4-ui] Scrollbar tracking control

On Dec 4, 2012, at 2:40 PM, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

>>>  * As a user, I hate this behavior.  I generally want to know where
>>>   I left off, and I hate it when sites think I want the latest and
>>>   don't care where I last stopped reading.  So I'm personally much
>>>   more interested in having the position be maintained.
>>
>> I suspect this isn't actually your position in chat rooms. ^_^
>> Otherwise you'd have to constantly hit pagedown just to keep up with
>> the conversation.  But even if it is, pushing this functionality into
>
> It actually is my position in chat-rooms; if I want to catch up, I
> want to read forwards rather than backwards rather than search for
> my previous read-to point; if I don't, I can get to the end easily.

In my IRC client, if I am scrolled to the bottom, it keeps me scrolled to the bottom as new content is added (to the bottom). But if I am scrolled to any other place my position doesn't change as the chat gets longer. That works out well. So perhaps we could replicate that with something like 'scroll-position-y: sticky-edge'.