RE: [css3-values] Interaction of vw/vh and scrollbars

[Boris Zbarsky:]

> > In the two browsers that currently support vw/vh, Chrome and IE,
> > neither one pays any attention to scrollbars.
>
> Neither does Gecko (which has vh/vw on the Aurora channel at this point),
> fwiw.

Wouldn't such a requirement also make implicit assumptions about scrollbars'
UI model? On many touch devices scrollbars are overlaid on top of the content
only when the user is touching/panning the screen. Recalculating viewport units
and reflowing when that happens would clearly be horrible; preventing the app
from using that part of the viewport would also be sub-optimal, if only because
these scrollbar designs were at least partly motivated by the desire to avoid
wasting precious screen real estate. I wouldn't expect such implementations to
bother fixing the testcase fails they would get from this requirement.