Re: [css4-images] non-premultiplied gradients and in the wild

On 9/08/2012 6:53 PM, Alan Gresley wrote:
>> Heya, I've finished up the first draft of Image Values level 4
>> <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css4-images>, incorporating several of the
>> features we punted from level 3 and a few new ones.  I'd greatly
>> appreciate feedback on the changes so we can potentially do a FPWD
>> after the f2f.

Am I going to get a response to the message?

With every single reason why non-premultiplied gradients were rejected,
I was able to show how it could be done with slightly different syntax.

To have a gradient from 'transparent' to 'yellow' and have the midway
point as ##FFFF79 (light yellow), all an author needs to do is use
transparent-yellow to yellow.

   linear-gradient(rgba(255,255,0,0), rgba(255,255,0,1))

To use 'transparent' as a midway point between two colors, all an author
needs to do is repeat the transparent part two times at 50% (i.e. red to
transparent-red against transparent-blue to blue)

   linear-gradient(rgba(255,0,0,1), rgba(255,0,0,0) 50%, rgba(0,0,255,0)
50%, rgba(0,0,255,1))

Now after a year, Firefox 15 and Chrome 21 shows the following demo the
same.

http://css-class.com/test/temp/color-transparent.htm

This behavior is now going onto well over a year in the wild.

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/