Re: [css3-flexbox] 'align-self' property definition should be clearer 'auto' margins override it

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 1:58 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-flexbox/#align-self doesn't mention
> anywhere that auto margins in the cross axis override 'align-self'.
>
> However, the algorithm, in particular
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-flexbox/#cross-sizing steps 8 and 11,
> and http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-flexbox/#cross-alignment steps 13
> and 14, make it clear that align-self has no effect if either
> cross-axis margin is 'auto'.
>
> I think this should be mentioned in the description of the property
> so that more casual readers will be aware of it.

Should be fixed now: <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/csswg/rev/399290917746>.

We noticed that the case of an overflowing item with auto cross-axis
margins was actually *completely undefined* in the layout algo, so we
fixed that.  We also added clear text in align-self that states that
it has no effect when there are auto margins.