Re: Next step for DAP Ambient Light Events

On Tuesday, 28 August 2012 at 03:28, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> On Tuesday, 28 August 2012 at 03:09, Doug Turner wrote:
>
> > The data in this report is not consistent with what Tab or I reported wrt the Galaxy Nexus. F.E., putting a flashlight 1 inch from the sensor only generated what this report terms "Cloudy Outdoors". Maybe this is just a bad sensor in this device, or something else we are not considering.
>
> Maybe related - or at least something to consider (particularly if the light sensor can be covered by a finger or by the persons head):
> http://www.displaymate.com/AutoBrightness_Controls_2.htm
>
> "...In a smartphone the light sensor is facing your head and is measuring the brightness of your face instead of the ambient light level that is behind and to either side of the phone, which is what actually sets your eye’s light sensitivity and what should be determining the brightness level of the screen."

Just to be clear: the problem is that a screen is dynamically adjusting to lighting conditions…  this might be problematic for a web app if it's also simultaneously trying adjust to a given lighting condition without knowing how bright the screen is. A solution might be to allow the stylesheet or API to provide a way to query and potentially adjust the screen brightness (though that might conflict with the user's brightness preferences: I certainly don't want a web page to automatically adjust to 100% when I'm reading from my phone when I first wake up… ouch!)… so asking for permission to change the brightness is important.

A real-world example I have seen on the iPhone is Eventbrite, which needs to put the brightness level to 100% to allow bar codes to be scanned in bright environments. Without adjusting the brightness, it's sometimes not possible to scan the bar codes.

HTH,
Marcos

--
Marcos Caceres