From: "Marcos Caceres" <w3c@marcosc.com>
To: "Doug Turner" <dougt@mozilla.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org, public-device-apis@w3.org, "Daniel Glazman" <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, "Dzung D Tran" <dzung.d.tran@intel.com>
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 6:55:24 PM
Subject: Re: Next step for DAP Ambient Light Events

On Monday, 27 August 2012 at 22:00, Doug Turner wrote:

> I am getting different results on the Galaxy Nexus (ICS). Close to double what Tab saw.
>
> ~380 LUX in the office type lighting.
> ~28000 LUX in very bright light.

The following paper by Microsoft might be useful (page 13 contains a table of how Lux values map to different lighting conditions):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463478.aspx

Though I don't think the paper above cites any sources. I also had little luck in google scholar trying to find a scientific study (though I might just have been looking for the wrong terms)… other sources that present similar tables I found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/light-level-rooms-d_708.html

The wikipedia article actually cites sources, but I've not checked their validity in any detail.

Hope that helps!