Re: [css2][css3-exclusions] 'clip' with more shapes and all elements

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
> I wonder if it is possible to extend the 'clip' property to apply to all elements (instead of just absolute positioned elements) [1]? FF applies 'clip-path'[2] to all elements already. What are the concerns to do so on 'clip'?
>
> Can we extend 'clip' to use more shapes then just 'rect'? If we get rid of these limitations, the 'clip' property would be a lot more useful (or maybe useful for the first time? ;) ). The basic shapes 'circle', 'ellipse' and 'polygon' (but also 'rectangle') from the exclusion spec [3] seem to be good candidates.

Yes, we can and we should (imo). I'm not sure why 'clip' is restricted
just to abspos per spec; I assume it's to avoid possible confusion
because it doesn't change the geometry of the object.

> 'clip-path' could still be used for referencing SVG 'clipPath' elements or could shadow 'clip' and 'clip' supports a <FuncIRI> as well.

We've finally stumbled on a decent way to handle aliasing -
'clip-path' can be treated as a shorthand for 'clip', and we can add
url()/select() to 'clip' in addition to the shape functions.