Re: Pseudo-element proposal

On 8/7/12 2:08 PM, "François REMY" <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr> wrote:

>|  From: Alan Stearns
>|  >Secondly, when pseudo-elements are inserted or removed,
>|  >the reordering can become a nightmare.
>|
>|  That's one problem that ordinals are meant to solve. If you know that
>|  pseudo-elements will be inserted or removed, you can choose ordinal
>|  spacing that allows for these changes without having to re-order
>|  everything. In your proposal to add slots to the content attribute,
>|  re-ordering can only be achieved by changing the entire content
>attribute.
>|  You have to re-order everything to make a single insertion or removal,
>|  which seems more nightmarish to me.
>
>I don't know which kind of metric you're using for that kind of purpose.
>For
>myself, I use the "number of spot changes" one (I count the number of
>points
>where I've to move the textedit cursor to in order to make a change). The
>number of spot changes is largely in favor of class names.

As I said, if you know that you will be inserting or removing
pseudo-elements, you can choose ordinal spacing that allows you to make
those changes without the extra editing steps you're counting.

For example, your first step might be to add your first pseudo-element
with ::before(10). Now if you need to add more pseudo-elements in between
that pseudo-element and the content boundary, you have nine slots to work
with before you have to re-order everything.

And I'm not sure how adding slots via the content attribute would work
across multiple style sheets. What happens if I have style sheet A that
adds one pseudo-element and style sheet B that wants to add another? One
of the content attributes would need to incorporate the other.

Thanks,

Alan