Re: box-sizing + intrinsic dimensions

On 8/7/12 3:39 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
> How should box-sizing affect things that are sized based off intrinsic
> dimensions?

For what it's worth, in Gecko -moz-available (which is the
fill-available value) subtracts off the elements own border and padding
in content-box sizing but not in border-box sizing, so that the actual
content width is whatever is actually available.  This seems like it has
significantly better ergonomics than the alternative.

Similar for min-content and max-content, actually: I believe they always
set the content width, not the overall width.

> I suppose you're just getting what you ask for here?

A fundamental problem with that is that it's impossible to ask for
different box sizing in different dimensions.  If a page could do
content-box sizing horizontally while doing border-box vertically, it
would be a lot more reasonable to say "don't do that" when using
border-box horizontally with intrinsic widths.

> I'm not sure it's worth adding magic to fix these cases.

In case it matters, it doesn't take much magic: you just have to have
the computations for the intrinsic widths add in the padding and/or
border as needed, and then everything else works like it normally would.

-Boris