Re: [css-regions] Shadow DOM and Regions CSSOM

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Andrei Bucur <abucur@adobe.com> wrote:
> What I’m saying may be very wrong, I didn’t digest the Shadow DOM spec too
> much. Sorry in advance J.

No worries! Sorry for not responding in a timely fashion. I finally
guilted myself into studying the Regions spec in detail.

> What’s special about NamedFlows is that the content resides in the Document
> and the regions can reside in the shadow tree.

This is where the Shadow DOM and Regions have a very
similarly-smelling projection of content situation going on. If you
look at how insertion point and "flow-to" rendering are specified,
there are some startling similarities.

I wonder if the reason I can't quite rationalize the rendering of
shadow DOM and regions is because these two concepts need to be first
reconciled -- unified into some general projection mechanism? Not
sure.

> One consequences of this is that the layout of the content affects the
> elements inside the shadow tree boundaries.
>
> For example:
>
> If a widget using shadow DOM sets a fixed-font size on the content using
> region styling in a specific region and then checks the regionOverset
> property on that region, it can determine information about the content
> that’s being flown inside the NamedFlow (e.g. regionOverset=overflow means
> that there’s more content and regionOverset=fit means that there’s less
> content). Is this something that the Shadow DOM proposal tries to avoid?
> This is somehow similar with the old trick of checking link colors to see if
> one was visited before by the user.

I am not worried about this case. However, as you mentioned, the
Shadow DOM attempts to ensure DOM encapsulation.

Do you see named flows work across the shadow DOM boundaries? As
specified, the OM will break encapsulation.

:DG<