W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > August 2012

Re: [css3-grid-layout] Suggestions for terminology amendments (additional!)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 09:54:57 -0700
Message-ID: <CAAWBYDDyqS2aK64mdbyZGDB+7DgK2=2=av6XLdqgkdZ2JHt3OQ@mail.gmail.com>
To: Mark Boulton <mark@markboulton.co.uk>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Mark Boulton <mark@markboulton.co.uk> wrote:
> Just spotted another terminology mismatch.
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-grid-layout/#grid-declaration0
> Here: 'The baseline of an inline Grid element is the bottom edge of the margin box.'
> This is confusing. A Baseline – in design terms – is a typographic measurement (the bottom of a character). In grid design there is such a thing as a 'baseline grid' – a grid comprised of a vertical division of space according to the type size from baseline to baseline. Unless I'm confused, I don't think is what this definition is referring to.

Ah, this is just terminology confusion on your part.  No worries.  ^_^
 This part of the spec is referring to the baseline of the grid
itself, for use when a display:inline-grid is used.  It needs to be
aligned with surrounding text *somehow*, and baselines are the default
way to do it.  (Additionally, all elements need to define a baseline,
even if they're not inline-level, because their *parent* might be
inline-level and determine its baseline from its contents.)  This is
similar to how inline-blocks, inline-tables, and replaced elements
like images or videos have a "baseline" - it's not strictly correct to
the definition of "baseline" used in typography, but it's analogous
and used in the same way.

Received on Thursday, 2 August 2012 16:55:48 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 25 March 2022 10:08:19 UTC