RE: [css3-grid-layout] Suggestions for terminology amendments

Thanks for the feedback. We are working on an updated editor’s draft where we plan to make some of the terminology updates.

Markus [msft]

From: François REMY
Sent: ‎August‎ ‎2‎, ‎2012 ‎8‎:‎16‎ ‎AM
To: Mark Boulton, www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css3-grid-layout] Suggestions for terminology amendments

At this point of time, the CSS Grid specification doesn't have a concept of
module at all. Therefore, I think that most concepts based on the module
definition don't apply to it.

The addition of a module-based layout option for the CSS Grid specification
can (and should) be considerated for further revisions of the specification
as it cover some layouts that are currently not optimally covered by CSS
Grids (consistent spacing between columns in an automatically layouted grid
is a good example of this). Meanwhile, in order to allow this specification
to hit browsers as soon as possible, I would prefer if this addition could
be discussed as part of CSS Grid Level 2 instead of Level 1.

However, based on your mail, I think we can do a better job in following the
existing naming conventions :

    - Grid Lines   should be called   Grid Gutters
    - Grid Cells   should be called   Grid Fields

Grid Rows and Grid Columns are by definition running the full height/width
of the grid, which explains their name.