Re: [css3-flexbox] for 'space-*', should compression happen when space is not enough?

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu
<kennyluck@csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> The spec now says (e.g. for 'justify-content: space-between'):
>
>   # ‘space-between’
>   #
>   #  Flex items are evenly distributed in the line. If the leftover
>   # free-space is negative or there is only a single flex item on the
>   # line, this value is identical to ‘flex-start’.
>
> . I've been thinking about the case when free-space is negative. In such
> cases, should UA do "true" justification in the sense that the the first
> flex item is placed flush with main-start and the last flex item is
> placed with main-end with the spacing being negative? I can see
> arguments for both sides:

This would cause overlapping, and it would likely happen in "rare"
situations that the author might not test, so they don't realize it
can happen.  Overflowing is much more user-friendly.