Re: Alignment in CSS

On 04/25/2012 08:24 AM, Stephen Zilles wrote:
> Reposting to www-style:
>
> Elika,
> I am a strong supporter of what you are trying to do. But, as one working on specifying alignment (within a line) in the Line Module, I find the choice of "alignment" for the module name to be unfortunate. I am aware that CSS has, for a very long time, overloaded the word "alignment". It means, among other things, aligning (and justifying) text in the inline direction, aligning glyphs (and replace elements) within a line in the block-progression direction, and aligning chunks (rather than lines) within a container (which is the case that you seem to be discussing).

Hi Steve,
I don't have a problem with renaming the module to be clearer about
its scope, but I think it would need to have Alignment in its title.
It *is* about aligning things: that's all it's about. Using any other
word would confuse everybody. (Alignment isn't just about aligning
things in lines of inline content, even if "lign" and "line" are
pronounced the same way. :)

~fantasai