Re: device-pixel-ratio

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 00:39:00 +0200, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> On 04/24/2012 03:05 PM, Edward O'Connor wrote:
>>
>> P.S. While we're at it, I second Florian's suggestion (from several
>> months ago) that we adopt 'device-pixel-ratio' as an official media
>> query. It's easy to use; authors readily understand how to use it to
>> distinguish between Retina displays and low-DPI displays.
>>
>> 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density
>
> I don't understand how it's any better than resolution: 2ddpx;

I proposed it when it wasn't clear that resolution meant the same thing.
Now that it does, and given a little time to make sure implementations
get it right and implement dppx, I think evangelists, tutorial writers
etc should switch from teaching device-pixel-ratio to teaching resolution.
Hopefully, authors will follow before long.

I am also toying with the idea of adding an informative note to CSS Media
queries (level 4) explaining how to map -*-device-pixel-ratio to
resolution.