Re: [css3-text] Current draft vs previous candidate recommendation

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 2:26 AM, Anand K Kalyanasundaram
<anand.kalyanasundaram@oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> The text module http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/CR-css3-text-20030514/ was a
> Candidate Recommendation. But the latest version:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/ is a Working Draft. I came across this while
> looking for the definition of property "text-line-through". This property
> has been removed in the latest working draft. It has been replaced by a
> property value for text-decoration-line.
>
> I am not sure what the current browsers support. But, could someone please
> tell me what is the recommendation for CSS tool developers ? Which version
> of the spec should be followed ?
>
> I understand that this is a tough question to answer. But, could someone
> post what they are doing ? Any other comments would be nice too.

Luckily, this is actually a very easy question to answer.

CSS3 Text did not receive adequate review when it first went to CR.
(Note the date - it's from 2003.)  We pulled it back a little while
ago to develop it more properly, and it hasn't yet stabilized *quite*
enough to advance past WD yet (though we're working on that).

However, the spec as it is today is much better than the CR-level
draft from 2003.  Don't refer to that old draft for anything.

~TJ