Re: [css3-regions] auto widths and heights of regions

On 4/18/12 8:59 AM, "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

>Alan Stearns wrote:
>
> > There is a new section [1] in the CSS Regions specification that
>describes
> > in much more detail how content from named flows is laid out in region
> > chains. This section contains improved handling of auto height and auto
> > width of regions. It introduces the notion of a 'flow fragment height'
> > that resolves the height of the named flow fragment that fits into a
> > region, and a 'region flow content box' whose used height and width
> > contribute to the sizing of regions.
> >
> > We have included a step-by-step example using three 'height:auto'
>regions
> > of different widths, and have been validating our approach in a WebKit
> > branch. This section is now ready for wider review, and we'd appreciate
> > any and all comments on the algorithm.
> >
> > [1]
>http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-regions/#regions-visual-formatting-details
>
>Having a description of auto-sizing seems useful. However, the number
>one concern that I and others have expressed over regions does not seem
>to be addressed: auto-generation of elements. That is, the regions
>spec still seems dependent on having tags in the markup or generating
>elements through scripting. Until this concern is addressed, I don't see
>much point in reviewing other parts of the regions spec.

As I mentioned on the call I think that sizing of the boxes is interesting
in itself and separable from where the boxes come from. We are working on
all of the concerns that have been raised, but our plan is to discuss each
in turn rather than dump an entire specification's worth of changes on the
list at once. I'd like to get your comments on this section, but I do
understand your time is limited. If you would rather wait until we ask to
publish a new working draft that's OK.

Note that part of this new section is related to one of the concerns about
generating regions. The question of "what happens if there is too much
content for the region chain" can be addressed in continuous media by
making the last region in the chain height:auto. That's not a complete
solution, but this seemed to me to be a necessary first step.

Thanks,

Alan