Re: [css4-color] Grayscale shorthand (with alpha)

Le 17/04/2012 22:01, Brian Manthos a écrit :
> My curiosity is more about...
>
> Why is "perfect gray" special vs. the near-grays?
>
> For example, are designers only interested in rgb(22, 22, 22,<somealpha>) or also rgb(22, 27, 32,<somealpha>)?

This is only a single data point, but I asked a designer colleague about
this.

"Perfect" grays (each RGB channel at the same value) with alpha are used
a lot for backgrounds and shadows. A shorthand (however it is named)
that allows not to repeat the value would help greatly, especially when
tweaking the value.

Near-grays are used sometimes to give some "temperature" to the color,
but not nearly as often as perfect grays (which are more neutral).

--
Simon Sapin