Re: [css3-flexbox] One final round of bikeshedding on property/value names?

(12/04/17 8:02), Brad Kemper wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2012, at 4:33 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The Display Value
>> ===============
>>
>> Fantasai and Anton don't like the term "flexbox", as they think it's
>> misleading, since it's really the children that are flexible - the
>> container element is just a container and is not flexible in and of
>> itself normally.  They don't have a good suggestion for an alternate
>> name, though.
>>
>> Ojan recommends shortening the name further to just "flex", to match
>> the prefix that all the spec's properties have.

Last time I tried to recall what the value is, I got lost because
'block' doesn't have the "box" suffix (neither does "inline"). So, yeah,
I think dropping the "box" is a good idea.

> I like 'flex-group' for the item containing the flexors, and
> avoiding overuse of the word "box". 'flex-group' (or 'flex-parent') is
> more descriptive of what it is.

I think flexbox will eventually reach a stage that everyone doesn't need
the name to recall what it is and just hopes the value could have been
as short as possible, so I think it's nice that it could be made shorter
than "table". Also, "inline-flex-group" is a bit too long, although
"inline-flex-group" wouldn't be as common...

Cheers,
Kenny