Re: [css-selectors] :contains()

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 6:06 AM, Sebastian Zartner
<sebastianzartner@gmx.de> wrote:
> There's a discussion at https://bugzil.la/221981 about adding the :contains() pseudo-class selector to the Mozilla CSS core.
> According to Ian Hickson (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Dec/0155.html) and David Baron (https://bugzil.la/221981#c15) this feature was dropped from the spec due to a lack of implementations.
> This mail aims for a re-introduction of :contains() into the spec and to discuss its implementation.

Unfortunately, the implementation concerns are still relevant.  It
seems to be quite difficult to implement efficiently in the face of
dynamic updates.

This is perfectly appropriate for use in a static query, like for
querySelector(), though.  I think we should add this back to
Selectors, but create a "dynamic" and "static" profile, with
:contains() excluded from the dynamic profile.