W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > April 2012

[css3-flexbox] Flexbox Terminology

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 10:56:02 -0700
Message-ID: <4F8322B2.40409@inkedblade.net>
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
There's an editorial thing that bothers me about Flexbox, which is that the
terminology is a little inconsistent with what we do elsewhere and with the
concepts themselves:

The thing that's a container is called a "flexbox", but the boxes that actually
flex are called "flexbox items". Usually we call the container box a "container",
and child boxes are called "boxes", not "items". We don't use "items" to refer
to boxes anywhere else, and I don't see any reason to start a new convention

So I'd like to propose that the boxes that flex are called "flexboxes", and the
containing element be called the "flexbox container".

Received on Tuesday, 10 April 2012 02:38:03 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 25 March 2022 10:08:14 UTC