Re: [css4-values] Global Keywords 'normal', 'auto', 'none', 'default'

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> I also agree with 'none', though not quite how you phrase it - I think
>> all list-valued properties should have a value that means "do
>> nothing".  Many of them already use 'none' for precisely that value,
>> which is fine, but we can go ahead and make it global.
>
> I don't think it's helpful to make it global. Then we have to distinguish
> between list and non-list properties, and there are other non-list
> properties
> that take the value 'none'... etc. It's more like auto and normal --
> commonly
> used keywords that mean different things depending on their context. And I
> think it's better to just leave that up to individual properties to specify.

After further thinking, I agree.  We should be vigilant about ensuring
that list-valued properties all accept it, but I don't know how to
specify a meaning for it for non-list-valued properties.  The meaning
we want here only works for properties that are purely additive.