Re: [css3-flexbox] flex-pack distribute bikeshed

On 09/15/2011 02:04 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Ojan Vafai<ojan@chromium.org>  wrote:
>> I understand the desire to use distribute for flex-pack since it can be
>> vertical as well, but I think justify is a more well understood term and I
>> don't foresee people finding the concept of justifying vertically confusing.
>> The meaning is obvious.
>> WebKit already implemented it with 'justify' based on the previous state of
>> the spec and I'm loathe to change the name to something that's IMO more
>> confusing.
>
> So, I looked back at my commit history, and that change shows up with
> the commit message "Change flex-pack:justify to distribute, to match
> Grid.".  Grid has no such thing.  Thus, I'm pretty sure I was on crack
> at the time.
>
> I think Fantasai may have suggested changing it, because it's not
> exactly the same as justification.  Text justification only triggers
> when the text is "close enough" to a full line, while
> flex-pack:distribute always triggers.

Hm, I think I remember that conversation. It was about aligning with
ruby-align, which uses 'distribute' in place of 'justify' and also has
a 'distribute-space' value, which we may want later. Although now I
look at it, the draft does say 'distribute-letter', not just 'distribute'. ;)

~fantasai