Re: [CSSOM] Revisiting transforms and getBoundingClientRect()

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 4:55 AM, Erik Arvidsson <arv@chromium.org> wrote:

> Another thing that keeps coming up is to do these things async
> (preferably with deferred/promises) so that we do not trigger
> unexpected layouts. It is not uncommon for code to query the rect just
> to set some style property. If multiple code snippets do this
> consecutively then we get multiple layouts which lead to very slow
> applications.

If the layout changes between requesting the promise and forcing its
evaluation, what should the result be? That sounds hard to spec and likely
to make applications unreliable.

I've always assume applications and libraries should be designed to avoid
excessive layout flushing. What makes that hard?

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in
us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our