Re: [css3-text] text-transform: uppercase; and cpsp OpenType Feature

Just to be clear about the intent of the 'cpsp' feature (a least from Adobe's perspective):

There is a fundamental typographic problem with glyph metrics, which is that optimal spacing for an uppercase glyph is different with lowercase than with uppercase. This feature (in theory, anyway) gives *the type designer* the opportunity to provide better default spacing for an all-cap context.

Of course any typographically-sensitive designer can add some amount of spacing to an all-cap setting to improve it as they see fit, but just as a font's default metrics should be considered an important part of the overall design, the amount of spacing in 'cpsp' should, also. It's the designer's intent. That's why it's ideal if the feature is automatically applied in all-caps contexts.

I realize this is somewhat idealistic, since I think the inclusion of 'cpsp' in fonts is spotty, and applications/clients obviously apply it inconsistently. So, for what it's worth.

-Christopher