Re: User Agents Do Not Implement Absolute Length Units, Places Responsive Design in Jeopardy

Applications are typically intentionally created for certain classes of
device; their developers just need a way to differentiate between these
devices reliably.

You wouldn't create a mobile application to have it turn up unexpectedly on
the wall of an airport.  However, if you were creating an application that
you intended to be run on mobile and on a kiosk, you want physical units +
Media Queries to tell you which one you're currently running on.

If the above two devices have the same resolution, or if the mobile & kiosk
vendor report the same subtended dimensions, you have no way to reliably
alter your layout.  That is a realistic use case for factual physical
dimensions.

-Brian