Re: [css21] Section 17.5.2.1 should be clarified

Le Mar 11 octobre 2011 1:36, Boris Zbarsky a écrit :
> On 10/10/11 11:01 PM, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
>> I can create and add testcases to the test suite on this. I've checked
>> and
>> there is none specific for such.
>
> That would be very much appreciated!
>
>>> Unfortunately, it's apparently not that clear, since UAs disagree on
>>> the
>>> behavior.  Gecko and Presto implement what seems clear to me.  Trident
>>> and WebKit implement something else, where column widths don't actually
>>> seem to include paddings.  Or something.

After examining this testcase

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/fixed-table-layout-003.htm

I came up with this testcase:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/fixed-table-layout-003a.html

The very strange thing (deliberately coded) is that the used and computed
width for td#cell is -20px (negative width!) in both Chrome 14.0.835.202
(when inspected with Web developer tool) and in Konqueror 4.7.2 (when
inspected with DOMtree viewer). The 60px horizontal padding "is forced" to
reach a 40px width; so, the content must become -20px wide.

Somehow, in their respective logic, width of column = width of cell +
horizontal padding of such cell. Some browsers treat such width of cell as
something that is shrinkable, compressible.

------------

Boris, I think this sentence

"
2. Otherwise, a cell in the first row with a value other than 'auto' for
the 'width' property determines the width for that column.
"
§17.5.2.1 Fixed table layout
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#fixed-table-layout

should be replaced with

"
2. Otherwise, a cell in the first row with a value other than 'auto' for
the 'width' property (with its left and right padding, if any) determines
the width for that column.
"

regards, Gérard
--