Re: [css3-images] simplifying radial gradients

On 7/10/2011 8:44 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Brad Kemper<brad.kemper@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I would love to resolve within two weeks. Unfortunately, when the main
>> person I need to resolve it with has said "I've decided to reject [Brad's]
>> proposal for simplifying radial gradients", and doesn't suggest any
>> alternatives to the problem (or acknowledge the problem), it makes it tough
>> to try to work out a resolution that is satisfactory to all (or even good
>> enough to most).
>
> Don't be ridiculous, Brad.  I sent a (long) email explaining my
> decision.  It helps no one to pretend that you're being put upon and
> summarily dismissed.

Really?

> You can respond to that email if you wish.  I will state up-front that
> I'm not likely to change anything at this point.

Yes, this is something that I have become accustom with.

> You've argued your
> points, I considered your argument, and in the end I rejected your
> proposal.  The archives show that I was very receptive and fair.

Have you always responded to my questions to you?

> You cannot hold up the spec indefinitely because you disagree with one
> of my choices.

I note that you use the term *my* above but use the *WG* below.

> The WG has given you two weeks to further argue your
> point.  After that, I will again press for LC.
>
> ~TJ

The spec process seems like a steamroller. You can object, say no, or
doing something else but at some point you realize that the steamroller
doesn't stop.

Even though I have a true rational based on experiments regarding
un-premultiplied gradients where I could lodge a formal objection with
the w3c, I am hesitate in doing so since the spec author may presume
that I'm being rude.

What you fail to realize Tab is that healthy debate can make a well
defined spec. I learned that from my questing of Brad during the
development of the B&BM 3, especially with box-shadow where the best
came out with Brad. This was happening when you first appeared on
www-style in mid 2008. CSS has come along way since then but the spec
process has gone backwards.

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/